Monday, November 18, 2013

Team Ramirez Does It

On a cold, rainy Sunday afternoon, the Ramirez Squad went out to Parkland WA for some more cross racing. Though the fields were smaller than at other races, the usual suspects were there, so competition was bound to be like always- tough. Under cold and gray skies, the Ramirez boys did what they do best, and raced their hearts out.

First to race was Donovan. He patiently waited for the officials to start his race, and then took off, making quick progress into his field. He handled the barriers like a seasoned vet, and judiciously picked which sections to run his bike. He went down some of the gnarly sections without fear.
Final effort towards the finish...
Unfortunately in this sanctioned series, 6-9yr juniors are only allowed to do 1lap, which left him wanting to race more. He was stoked to finish in a very respectable 10th place. Donovan then got to hang out in the Team Bus while he ate lunch and recovered from his effort.

10th place!! Yeah baby!!
Next up was his old man... After a not-so great start, I fought myself back into the top 4, doing good battle with my friends Jon and Peter. Meanwhile, the gap to Dmitri in 1st kept growing. On the penultimate lap, I was in 2nd, spectating buddy Nick gave me a split of 15sec. The plan became to go full gas every pedal stroke. I was sliding every which way, taking lots of chances. I caught Dmitri's wheel at the final turn to the long finishing straight, at that familiar point when the ambient noise level goes down, letting me know I am just this side of tunnel vision. In that same instant, Theresa's LOUD voice to 'Push it!' brought me back, and I sprinted with all I had left to my first win this season. I let out a loud scream at the line, moments before coming to a complete stop, and folding over my handlebars in a dry-heaving/oxygen-debt mess.

Looks like Dmitri (L) and Jon (R) are holding up the little dude in the middle...
I don't usually like to toot my own horn, but this felt pretty epic, specially with my family there.

What does one get for such heroics you may ask? Your picture taken, a pat on the back, and if your S.O. is super awesome, a cookie to share.
thanks for reading.

No comments: